Renovation of a small farmhouse | Powell Grandstand

Over the past year, Kriss Hunter has renovated her home on Absaroka Street. It was a pretty significant remodel – and the property is prominent on the busy street.

While the work was underway, Hunter said people stopped by almost every day to share memories they had from home. Some people remembered babysitting there, others remembered old friends they had visited at the residence. A man remembered delivering milk to the house, back when delivering milk was one thing.

The house was built in 1915, before electricity and interior plumbing.

“It was just a little farm house,” Hunter said.

When she bought the property there were still old button and tube cables, this is how the houses were first wired. During the renovation, all plumbing and wiring were redone.

Hunter and his sons, Jax, Austin and Kolton, carried out the demolition work.

“We got it down to the crampons,” Hunter said.

In 1915 they made the ceilings low enough, so the family raised the ceilings on the first floor. In the master bedroom, Hunter couldn’t raise his arm all the way without touching the ceiling. Putting up the wall was going to cost too much. So his contractor, Ron Gordon of Gordon Construction Inc., pitched the roof, giving the room a really spacious feel.

She kept a barn door for the main bathroom. It is one of the only original parts of the house that remains.

Hunter also enlarged the north side of the lower level to make a utility room, which at one time was a porch – probably a side entrance.

“It was barely framed on a few steps,” she said.

They tore up the kitchen and the dining room. Where there was a large window in the kitchen facing the backyard, Hunter installed a smaller window to accommodate more cabinet space.

They also removed a wall between the kitchen and the dining room, including the fireplace; an island counter entered where the stove was.

They didn’t do much upstairs, but where the fireplace crossed the second story, Hunter set up a linen closet. She added more storage areas, as homes in the early 1900s did not place a high value on storage space.

During the kitchen redesign, they found an issue of the Powell Tribune from September 1960 in the walls – put there during a renovation 60 years earlier.

The dining room had a glass door that opened to the side. Hunter had a new glass door installed that opened to the back yard and replaced the old door with a window.

They also removed part of the floor from the upstairs bedroom to create more space for climbing the stairs. Before, it was pretty tight.

“I don’t know how they got the furniture in and out of the house,” Hunter said.

During construction, the family lived in a rental and they were eager to move into their new home.

“We did a lot of things in a short period of time, but it felt like a lot longer,” said Hunter.

She hasn’t finished yet: the next big project is the exterior. Hunter had hoped he had done everything by now, but some health issues delayed the renovation for a few months. At least for now, the interior work is complete and she lives in her renovated house.

“It was a trip,” Hunter said.


Source link

Michigan authorities seize raw milk butter, warn public about Shetler farm products

State officials are warning the public not to eat or drink raw milk products from a Michigan farm, as they are unauthorized and violate state laws.

Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) inspectors performing a routine check at a convenience store in Clare, MI, discovered that raw milk butter was being sold. They seized about 75 pounds of butter, which the retailer then voluntarily parted with, according to a public warning released by the department today.

The farm involved is operated by John Shetler in Morley, MI. It is breaking the state’s milk manufacturing law because its facility is unauthorized and has not been inspected, according to the department.

It is not yet known whether Shetler distributes other raw milk products. Retail stores selling products from the Shetler Farm, an unauthorized and unapproved source, are subject to regulatory action under the Michigan Food Act.

The butter in question was packaged in clear plastic one-pound containers and labeled “NON-GMO SWEET CREAM BUTTER with Himalayan Salt”.

“Our food and dairy inspectors are committed to ensuring that the foods we give to our families are produced safely and free from foodborne pathogens, but that requires a partnership with those we let’s regulate to make it happen, ”said MDARD Director Gary McDowell. .

“Under the Michigan Food Act, MDARD is responsible for licensing and inspecting food manufacturing facilities and food retail establishments to protect public health and ensure a safe food supply. and healthy. Food offered for sale must be made in licensed and inspected facilities, which this farm was not. “

All retailers who have raw milk products from Shetler’s operation should immediately remove the products from sale, keep them in a safe place away from any sales area, and contact their MDARD food inspector, according to the alert from the State Department.

Raw milk is milk that has not been pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria. This and products made with it may contain dangerous pathogens, such as Brucella, Campylobacter, Cryptosporidium, E. coli, Listeria, and Salmonella, which can pose serious health risks.

(To subscribe to Food Safety News for free, Click here.)


Source link

Cheshire farm destroyed by massive fire goes up for sale

A farm in Cheshire that was destroyed by a massive fire has been put up for sale.

The two-story building off Boundary Lane in Threapwood, Malpas, was put on the market months after the fire started in the early hours of October 28 last year.

No one was seriously injured in the fire, but the damage caused the roof and the first floor to collapse.

Real estate and asset consultancy David Currie & Co is handling the sale of the property, which also includes approximately six acres of land, extensive gardens, water features and additional outbuildings.

David Currie said: “This is a great opportunity to acquire a small property and build your own home in a picturesque village in Cheshire. “

The five bedroom house and surrounding site is touted as a ‘development opportunity’ and is available as a single lot or in plots.

The fire that destroyed the farm broke out just before 4:30 a.m. on October 28 last year, with six fire trucks called to the scene due to the severity of the blaze.



Boundary House in Threapwood, Malpas, was put up for sale after being destroyed by fire

A statement issued by the Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service at the time said: “Upon arrival, smoke detectors sounded and firefighters found the two-story house measuring about 15 meters by 10 meters well illuminated.

“No one was missing. Cords were installed and water supplies were established. Two firefighters wearing breathing masks began to fight the blaze with a main stream.

“Two more main jets and two hose reel jets were then used to fight the fire. The firefighting activity was divided into sectors.

“The roof had burned down, causing it to collapse on the first floor. The first floor then collapsed onto the ground floor. A firewall has been put in place to protect the annex to the house.

“One occupant was treated by paramedics for what would have been slight smoke inhalation.

“Shortly after 8 a.m., about three and a half hours after firefighters were alerted to the blaze, only one fire engine was left behind.”

Firefighters left the scene around 4 p.m. that day, nearly 12 hours after the start of the blaze.



Here are the latest stories from the CheshireLive newsletter

Want to sign up to receive these stories straight to your inbox? It’s free and means you’ll never miss the most important Cheshire news of the day

You can register here

You are not registered but want to try it?

You can read a preview of today’s newsletter here


Source link